Skip to main content

Stars in My Garden

Yikes, I went to my first almost-local Shop Hop and bought fabric for yet another new project. I've gotten eight of the blocks and two more new shops to check out tomorrow and pick up what I've missed.

I started out at the Quilt Box which is in Dry Ridge, KY. They don't have a Web site, but gosh they are just the most fun quilters I've run into since I moved here. I decided that I'd do their quilt design, "Stars in My Garden." I knew it was beautiful and that I wouldn't be disappointed at choosing their design without seeing all the others. I will definitely be returning to the Quilt Bug and Best Friends Quilt Shoppe, most of the others are probably too far away for every day shopping. I enjoyed nearly all the shops and tried to buy a little something other than just the block--for their participation.

Anyway, it will be my first quilt with a light background that will show the quilting, so I'll need to go back and take photos of their quilting pattern.
I also met Penny Haren who demontrated her new book, Pieced Applique. Not sure I'm up to doing applique, but, who knows!!!

I'm trying hard to finish a couple of projects...Ohio Stars and Rails (sewing the rows now), Short Stacks (a LQS kit--sewing the rows together now) and French Braid quilt (sewing the braids together now)!!

So, here's my problem...I can't seem to give up the thought that I should pre-wash all this fabric--even the kits!!! Nearly every project I've bought so far has been a kit or fabric from a class which means I had no time to wash it. Now I find myself worrying about doing my own projects without pre-washing the fabric first. So, the Short Stacks was not washed and the Ohio Stars and Rails was washed, so I need to finish them up and see which I like better. The French Braid was batiks so I pre-washed them before class. Anyway, this "nagging" thought is preventing me from cutting into all these projects I have sitting around and get moving on finishing SOMETHING!!!!

How do you feel about pre-washing the fabrics of today? Should I just cut everything up and start sewing and hope that nothing shrinks or bleeds? Or should I just keeping buying and buying and buying?



Comments

  1. The only fabric that I pre-wash is from Joann's. And I don't mix my quilt shop fabric with my Joann's fabric. In my house, that is a big no no!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, that's sounds like such a great plan! I think I'll adopt your method because I'm such a new quilter and have just purchased kits so far and a few novelty items that I can keep it separate. I bought about 25 bags from my LQS of someone's stash and assumed it was pre-washed so I'll just wash all my JoAnn's FQs and store them together so I don't have to have three separate areas. Thanks so much! So, will you tell me which quilt pattern you used???? Pretty please? Thanks so much for the photos. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been Awhile

I will just say, "Sorry," and move on. Life really gets in the way A LOT for me. It's been a hot summer and the pool has been very inviting. Too hot to sew outside, so "swimming" it is!!! The tree over our pool has shed its leaves directly into the pool. They are still falling, it's a bunch of work to keep them gathered up and off the bottom. Since my husband is unable to tend to the outside work (or inside), I've taken on this task. I've only sucked up so many leaves one time and had to call the pool company to blow the lines. Got one of those leaf catchers, pronto!!! 
Enough said, here's what I've been up to:
I decided that I couldn't pass up the Sew Sampler subscription box from the Fat Quarter Shop. This was the pattern called Moonshine and they included the fabrics so I was able to whip this up pretty quickly.  I'm really happy with my points on this one. I've added the outer borders and will update the pic soon. I'm act…

2017 is Here

Okay, so truth be told, I didn't do very well at finishing projects or blogging about them in 2017. If I blog every day about my 15 minutes of sewing, will that drive readers away?

I did finish this quilt, so I can cross that off of my UFOs, right? I have gifted it, but I really wish I had a pic of the flying geese going up/down. Sigh. Now to made some shams...in 2017!!



I did add a page for 2017 so I could list them, but I have so many years with so many unfinished quilts, it's embarrassing. BLUSH
I did start Bonnie Hunter's En Provence and here's a sample of a somewhat finished block. 

I also played around with Cheryl's Meadow Mist Mystery 2017 and I'm almost finished in time for tomorrow's next clue.  I think the piece on the bottom row in the middle might be the inside of the fabric or not??? I'll check.  All the other steps are finished, I hope. 

I'm also going to try free motion quilting for the first time, so I am ready with my panel and will…

Getting Back to Sewing

Sorry, I've been trying to re-arrange my studio and just didn't seem to get back to sewing/quilting, but I'm forging ahead because I missed all of January's blocks of the 365 Challenge! These are really tiny and I can see I need to be much more accurate with my cutting/sewing. LOL I'm using all stash fabrics, so my dark may not be dark enough and my lights might not be light enough, but my record for finishing projects prohibited me from spending money on this one!! 
Here's February 12, 2016 block: 


Now, here's the beginning of the blue and white quilt that I'm making. I designed it in EQ7 and the rows of the top left corner have been sewn together, so we'll see how accurate EQ7 is when I go to sew the diagonal rows together.  I am using it as leaders/enders for the 365 Challenge because they took a bunch of seams so more rows are finished without realizing it. A good thing.
Just want to mention that my design wall is four 2' pieces of that foa…