I've been wanting to make one of these weighted pincushions forever. Well, yesterday, I was snowed in and actually made one!! I had to make a few adjustments because I didn't have everything on hand. I used fleece instead of wool felt which made it "give" instead of being as sturdy. I used walnut shells that I'd bought for my earlier Schnibbles (not even started yet!) instead of rice. I used more to make it a bit heavier. I didn't have a 1 inch button so I used a 3/4 inch one. My interfacing could have been heavier, too. With all that, I really like it.
I found the instructions at Sew, Mama, Sew from Elizabeth. Excellent tutorial.
Go forth and make your own!! I'm going to make another, for sure.