Skip to main content

Quilting a King-sized Top




This is almost a nightmare!  My first king-sized quilt--crazy!! Want to hear the saga? Read on...

I loaded this a couple of days ago (really, about a month) and have been waffling about how to quilt it. Well, first issue--I couldn't stitch down the side because it was too close to one end. Lesson learned...pay attention to those marks on the leaders when doing a large quilt--you put them there for a reason. Duh!!

Next UGH!!! Trimmed most of the stray threads, but as you know (or maybe you don't), the more you "play" with the top, the more the threads fray and did you know?  Black threads show through white fabric!!! Enough said.

Another UGH!!!  I got this brilliant thought that I could stitch in the ditch with the Pro-Stitcher on my HQ16--fool!!! I'd saved a file with a 2" horizontal line and then re-sized it for the borders and the sashing, etc. I went really, really slow and guided it with my hands, but sometimes I lifted my hands or I sneezed or I coughed and that darned machine just kept on stitching and not in the ditch!!! So, after four rows, I gave up on that idea (at least I had the common sense to use the restroom--can't leave it!!).

These are 14" inch blocks, so I really only have 11" of quilting space, so after loading it all, I decided I'd float my top--another first. Took me forever to load the top and all for nothing. Sigh. So, I enlarged the pattern to 13" to cover most of the block and, naturally, I ran out of bobbin thread. Handiquilter upgraded their software to make it easier to go back and restart where the thread ran out.  I had to watch their DVD to see how to use this new (to me) feature. Another delay.

So, I'd gotten the first row of blocks (there are five!!!) finished and I advanced my quilt and was basting the side and got a "motor stall."  So I powered down and cleaned out the pesky bobbin threads and started again. Stalled again, this time, the needle was caught a bit in the fabric and, because I only use the computerized version (for the most part--well, all the time!), I have it against the wall and couldn't reach the handle to raise the needle. I'm stretching over the bars and table trying to get the needle up and I ripped the fabric.

My huge roll of batting is just sitting on the floor below the machine--uncut for this quilt, so I'm going to do the half and then cut the batting, take off the quilt, replace the torn fabric and then SID on my Viking and then put it back on to finish it.

I've learned so much, but why did I have to learn it all on this one quilt? (Rhetorical question, of course--heard of Murphy's Law, anyone?)

The End.  For today.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Quilt Festival - Spring 2009

What a great idea to host an online Quilt Festival ! Thanks to Amy @ Park City Girl! Be sure to stop by and add your favorite quilt! Well, I really want to join in this huge event, so I'm hoping that an almost completed quilt will qualify! I've chosen my Hungry Caterpillar quilt as my favorite because it is my best to date and who doesn't want to show their best? Of course, I have a long way to go, but I'm learning with each and every quilt. This quilt's story goes like this...it was a kit! I'm not ready to chose my own fabrics/colors just yet (may never be!). I got the kit and went to work trying to hit the one-year old granddaughter's birthday (missed it, of course). I simply loved its simplicity since it was panels that I just put together, but it was a good ego boost for this quilting novice, not to mention the practice I'd gotten! So, I loaded on my new HQ16 with the ProStitcher and it sat until I found a digital pattern to go with it. Once again, I

Grow Your Blog Party

THIS GIVEAWAY IS OVER. Next time???? Winner announced here . Welcome to the Grow Your Blog Party that is being hosted by Vicki of 2 Bags Full ! As you can see by the tabs at the top of the page, I became "hooked on quilting" in 2007, but I didn't really complete many quilts...they are still here waiting for their turn! LOL I have found that I'm a process person rather than a product person, which means I just want to cut up fabric, sew it back together in a different manner and I don't really need a finished project, but I plan to turn over a new leaf in 2013 I'm going to dig into all those UFO's and finish them up!  I've also blogged since 2007, but life has gotten in the way over the years so posting has been sporadic, but I am now going to journal about my adventures in quilting. I'd love to share what I've learned about quilting and what I hope to learn and all those quilts that I plan to finish this year!  I've d

Grow Your Blog Party

Welcome to the  Grow Your Blog Party  that is being hosted by Vicki of  2 Bags Full ! Welcome to my blog about how many quilts I've started!!! I sure wish it could be about the ones I've finished!  But then, it's be pretty boring and pretty blank!!!! LOL   I say this every year, I PLAN to finish them all. Planning is easy, executing is difficult.  I really do start way too many quilts, but I had a health scare in 2013, so I'm determined not to leave this mess for my loved ones to clean up and PLAN to finish them all in 2014 (that's a laugh). The tabs at the time share all my started quilts.  Since the demise of Google Reader, I've found a few places that you can "add" me to your list of blogs you visit, they are listed on my right sidebar!  I'd love for you to visit often.  Time to visit  Vicki's blog  and "grow" more blogs!!! p.s. Last year, my giveaway was never claimed...didn't do one this year.