Skip to main content

Quilting a King-sized Top




This is almost a nightmare!  My first king-sized quilt--crazy!! Want to hear the saga? Read on...

I loaded this a couple of days ago (really, about a month) and have been waffling about how to quilt it. Well, first issue--I couldn't stitch down the side because it was too close to one end. Lesson learned...pay attention to those marks on the leaders when doing a large quilt--you put them there for a reason. Duh!!

Next UGH!!! Trimmed most of the stray threads, but as you know (or maybe you don't), the more you "play" with the top, the more the threads fray and did you know?  Black threads show through white fabric!!! Enough said.

Another UGH!!!  I got this brilliant thought that I could stitch in the ditch with the Pro-Stitcher on my HQ16--fool!!! I'd saved a file with a 2" horizontal line and then re-sized it for the borders and the sashing, etc. I went really, really slow and guided it with my hands, but sometimes I lifted my hands or I sneezed or I coughed and that darned machine just kept on stitching and not in the ditch!!! So, after four rows, I gave up on that idea (at least I had the common sense to use the restroom--can't leave it!!).

These are 14" inch blocks, so I really only have 11" of quilting space, so after loading it all, I decided I'd float my top--another first. Took me forever to load the top and all for nothing. Sigh. So, I enlarged the pattern to 13" to cover most of the block and, naturally, I ran out of bobbin thread. Handiquilter upgraded their software to make it easier to go back and restart where the thread ran out.  I had to watch their DVD to see how to use this new (to me) feature. Another delay.

So, I'd gotten the first row of blocks (there are five!!!) finished and I advanced my quilt and was basting the side and got a "motor stall."  So I powered down and cleaned out the pesky bobbin threads and started again. Stalled again, this time, the needle was caught a bit in the fabric and, because I only use the computerized version (for the most part--well, all the time!), I have it against the wall and couldn't reach the handle to raise the needle. I'm stretching over the bars and table trying to get the needle up and I ripped the fabric.

My huge roll of batting is just sitting on the floor below the machine--uncut for this quilt, so I'm going to do the half and then cut the batting, take off the quilt, replace the torn fabric and then SID on my Viking and then put it back on to finish it.

I've learned so much, but why did I have to learn it all on this one quilt? (Rhetorical question, of course--heard of Murphy's Law, anyone?)

The End.  For today.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 is Here

Okay, so truth be told, I didn't do very well at finishing projects or blogging about them in 2017. If I blog every day about my 15 minutes of sewing, will that drive readers away?

I did finish this quilt, so I can cross that off of my UFOs, right? I have gifted it, but I really wish I had a pic of the flying geese going up/down. Sigh. Now to made some shams...in 2017!!



I did add a page for 2017 so I could list them, but I have so many years with so many unfinished quilts, it's embarrassing. BLUSH
I did start Bonnie Hunter's En Provence and here's a sample of a somewhat finished block. 

I also played around with Cheryl's Meadow Mist Mystery 2017 and I'm almost finished in time for tomorrow's next clue.  I think the piece on the bottom row in the middle might be the inside of the fabric or not??? I'll check.  All the other steps are finished, I hope. 

I'm also going to try free motion quilting for the first time, so I am ready with my panel and will…

It's Been Awhile

I will just say, "Sorry," and move on. Life really gets in the way A LOT for me. It's been a hot summer and the pool has been very inviting. Too hot to sew outside, so "swimming" it is!!! The tree over our pool has shed its leaves directly into the pool. They are still falling, it's a bunch of work to keep them gathered up and off the bottom. Since my husband is unable to tend to the outside work (or inside), I've taken on this task. I've only sucked up so many leaves one time and had to call the pool company to blow the lines. Got one of those leaf catchers, pronto!!! 
Enough said, here's what I've been up to:
I decided that I couldn't pass up the Sew Sampler subscription box from the Fat Quarter Shop. This was the pattern called Moonshine and they included the fabrics so I was able to whip this up pretty quickly.  I'm really happy with my points on this one. I've added the outer borders and will update the pic soon. I'm act…

Getting Back to Sewing

Sorry, I've been trying to re-arrange my studio and just didn't seem to get back to sewing/quilting, but I'm forging ahead because I missed all of January's blocks of the 365 Challenge! These are really tiny and I can see I need to be much more accurate with my cutting/sewing. LOL I'm using all stash fabrics, so my dark may not be dark enough and my lights might not be light enough, but my record for finishing projects prohibited me from spending money on this one!! 
Here's February 12, 2016 block: 


Now, here's the beginning of the blue and white quilt that I'm making. I designed it in EQ7 and the rows of the top left corner have been sewn together, so we'll see how accurate EQ7 is when I go to sew the diagonal rows together.  I am using it as leaders/enders for the 365 Challenge because they took a bunch of seams so more rows are finished without realizing it. A good thing.
Just want to mention that my design wall is four 2' pieces of that foa…