Skip to main content

DWR - Flimsy Almost Complete

I'm really excited that I'm almost finished this Double Wedding Ring quilt. It was a REAL challenge and one I won't try again for a long while. It was so hard to stay focused on this quilt top because there was so many little pieces and then there was so many big pieces and all curved!!! It would have been so easy to fold this one up and "bin" it!! It's a gift, so I can't. 

Now, I have to sew the four patches together and then I'll really have to decide how to quilt it. I just upgraded my HQ16 and it's so fancy now, dare I practice on this quilt top? Maybe I'll practice on muslin first. Any quilting suggestions?  I've been looking at finished DWR quilts so if you see one you love, could you pass the link to me? Might just do feathers if no one comes up with a better idea. <grin> 

I'm still ripping out the paper-dread that job. I have to iron it all and clip the threads on the back because they will show through the white fabric. Still have to cut the binding and everything I read says that it should be cut on the bias. Then I have to sew that onto the curves. A log cabin quilt sound so easy now. 

There's a sliver of dark blue and I see that it's not distributed very well throughout the quilt, but only a quilter would know that, right? Not going to re-do any, so I'll just have to live with it. 

It measures 82" by 101", hope that's queen size (or queen size enough!), not terribly interested in added another row or should I? Now's the time to make that decision. 

If you see any of the blue/green four patches that are not the right pattern, please let me know. I've looked at it so much that I can't see my own mistakes. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been Awhile

I will just say, "Sorry," and move on. Life really gets in the way A LOT for me. It's been a hot summer and the pool has been very inviting. Too hot to sew outside, so "swimming" it is!!! The tree over our pool has shed its leaves directly into the pool. They are still falling, it's a bunch of work to keep them gathered up and off the bottom. Since my husband is unable to tend to the outside work (or inside), I've taken on this task. I've only sucked up so many leaves one time and had to call the pool company to blow the lines. Got one of those leaf catchers, pronto!!! 
Enough said, here's what I've been up to:
I decided that I couldn't pass up the Sew Sampler subscription box from the Fat Quarter Shop. This was the pattern called Moonshine and they included the fabrics so I was able to whip this up pretty quickly.  I'm really happy with my points on this one. I've added the outer borders and will update the pic soon. I'm act…

2017 is Here

Okay, so truth be told, I didn't do very well at finishing projects or blogging about them in 2017. If I blog every day about my 15 minutes of sewing, will that drive readers away?

I did finish this quilt, so I can cross that off of my UFOs, right? I have gifted it, but I really wish I had a pic of the flying geese going up/down. Sigh. Now to made some shams...in 2017!!



I did add a page for 2017 so I could list them, but I have so many years with so many unfinished quilts, it's embarrassing. BLUSH
I did start Bonnie Hunter's En Provence and here's a sample of a somewhat finished block. 

I also played around with Cheryl's Meadow Mist Mystery 2017 and I'm almost finished in time for tomorrow's next clue.  I think the piece on the bottom row in the middle might be the inside of the fabric or not??? I'll check.  All the other steps are finished, I hope. 

I'm also going to try free motion quilting for the first time, so I am ready with my panel and will…

Getting Back to Sewing

Sorry, I've been trying to re-arrange my studio and just didn't seem to get back to sewing/quilting, but I'm forging ahead because I missed all of January's blocks of the 365 Challenge! These are really tiny and I can see I need to be much more accurate with my cutting/sewing. LOL I'm using all stash fabrics, so my dark may not be dark enough and my lights might not be light enough, but my record for finishing projects prohibited me from spending money on this one!! 
Here's February 12, 2016 block: 


Now, here's the beginning of the blue and white quilt that I'm making. I designed it in EQ7 and the rows of the top left corner have been sewn together, so we'll see how accurate EQ7 is when I go to sew the diagonal rows together.  I am using it as leaders/enders for the 365 Challenge because they took a bunch of seams so more rows are finished without realizing it. A good thing.
Just want to mention that my design wall is four 2' pieces of that foa…