Skip to main content

Help! Look What I Did

Just know that I've been steadily working on my Dino's quilt and I need to rip out a ton of the bottom border...and now this. I cut one of the spikes on the backs of one of the dinosaur by accident. How do you think I should repair it?  It's right at the seam, think I could just hand stitch it closed? If I removed it and put in a new one, I'd have to hand stitch a blanket stitch to put it back in. Ugh.


It's already sewn and the background block has been quilted. I'd have to make another orange spike, remove the cut one and hand sew it back in. Not something I'm excited about. 







I also accidentally used my black permanent Sharpie and got a couple of marks on another dinosaur. Ugh, times two. So need to get this one DONE. 

Comments

  1. How upsetting this must have been. As someone who has been sewing pretty much all my life, I can very much sympathize with your little mishap. Since it is such a small cut, I would go into the opening with the finest crochet hook you might have. You know, the kind for lacework, etc. I would snag the inside seam and pull it through and tear out an inch or so of the seam from each side of the mistake. You can then hand-stitch another seam, just a little wider than the original seam was in that spot, with just a tiny bit left open. It will be pretty painstaking, but probably worth it in the long run. You can then poke the finished seam back through the little opening(maybe using the other end of your crochet hook as a pusher and hand-stich the little opening left. It will be a tiny bit shorter in the spot, but everybody, even dinos have their differences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, thank you for your suggestion. I knew that I wouldn't be happy unless I replaced it. So, I made another one and stuck it in there and am trying to outline it, but it's pretty thick so I may have to do that on my Viking. I will just have to do a hand-blanket stitch over the body part since it's already quilted and I wouldn't want it to show on the back. What a nightmare! They were my dull paper scissors and still cut the fabric! Again, thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been Awhile

I will just say, "Sorry," and move on. Life really gets in the way A LOT for me. It's been a hot summer and the pool has been very inviting. Too hot to sew outside, so "swimming" it is!!! The tree over our pool has shed its leaves directly into the pool. They are still falling, it's a bunch of work to keep them gathered up and off the bottom. Since my husband is unable to tend to the outside work (or inside), I've taken on this task. I've only sucked up so many leaves one time and had to call the pool company to blow the lines. Got one of those leaf catchers, pronto!!! 
Enough said, here's what I've been up to:
I decided that I couldn't pass up the Sew Sampler subscription box from the Fat Quarter Shop. This was the pattern called Moonshine and they included the fabrics so I was able to whip this up pretty quickly.  I'm really happy with my points on this one. I've added the outer borders and will update the pic soon. I'm act…

2017 is Here

Okay, so truth be told, I didn't do very well at finishing projects or blogging about them in 2017. If I blog every day about my 15 minutes of sewing, will that drive readers away?

I did finish this quilt, so I can cross that off of my UFOs, right? I have gifted it, but I really wish I had a pic of the flying geese going up/down. Sigh. Now to made some shams...in 2017!!



I did add a page for 2017 so I could list them, but I have so many years with so many unfinished quilts, it's embarrassing. BLUSH
I did start Bonnie Hunter's En Provence and here's a sample of a somewhat finished block. 

I also played around with Cheryl's Meadow Mist Mystery 2017 and I'm almost finished in time for tomorrow's next clue.  I think the piece on the bottom row in the middle might be the inside of the fabric or not??? I'll check.  All the other steps are finished, I hope. 

I'm also going to try free motion quilting for the first time, so I am ready with my panel and will…

Getting Back to Sewing

Sorry, I've been trying to re-arrange my studio and just didn't seem to get back to sewing/quilting, but I'm forging ahead because I missed all of January's blocks of the 365 Challenge! These are really tiny and I can see I need to be much more accurate with my cutting/sewing. LOL I'm using all stash fabrics, so my dark may not be dark enough and my lights might not be light enough, but my record for finishing projects prohibited me from spending money on this one!! 
Here's February 12, 2016 block: 


Now, here's the beginning of the blue and white quilt that I'm making. I designed it in EQ7 and the rows of the top left corner have been sewn together, so we'll see how accurate EQ7 is when I go to sew the diagonal rows together.  I am using it as leaders/enders for the 365 Challenge because they took a bunch of seams so more rows are finished without realizing it. A good thing.
Just want to mention that my design wall is four 2' pieces of that foa…