Skip to main content

January 2013 Goals


Trying something new here as nothing I've tried has ever really worked. I'm going to choose 13 projects to work on for the month of January.  Naturally, I chose 13 because it's 2013 and it's a lucky number, right?

So, if I were to work at least 15 minutes a day on each of these projects and there's 30 days left in January, that would mean I should have worked a total of 7 3/4 hours on each project. I spent some time getting it all ready for a quick transition from one project to the next. I would like to see all 13 of them move forward each day, but I'm hoping that I get hooked and keep moving on just one project.

I'm going to use a timer and be sure each one gets its fair share and will rotate the projects so each gets to be #1 at least twice. I've got my spreadsheet all worked out for this micro-management system. I did it a couple of days during 2012 and I found that it works for me as it seems to prevent boredom and keeps "in the project." If there's a complication along the way on a project, I'll get it resolved and then move on. I'm also thinking that I'll stop at a good point and not leave anything hanging.  Will definitely stay flexible and not be a slave to the clock.

I'll probably have to hire a chef and a live-in maid for cleaning and laundry...

I have a bunch of quilts that need frogging the "bad" quilting so those 15 minutes will go fast and I can move through those quickly or it might take all month! I'm doing a bunch of applique BOMs, so they have a deadline and will be listed first. I have four king-sized beds and a day bed that I can use as "tables" so I don't have to put everything away before I can move to the next project.

Here's my list:

1. Tooth fairy pillow - no pic yet.  It's going to be a owl holding a football - boy pillow. His bottom two teeth  are loose, need to get this done soon.

2. Apron ties - one finished, three to go. The aprons are done, just have three sets of ties to sew on.

3. Easy Street - Step 1 - Just started, all the clues are posted. Haven't peeked yet.

4. Dear Jane - 2 Blocks/Week is my goal - Really need to get this done.  I was a 2-year BOM and it's probably been a year sitting in the envelopes.

5. Stop Sign - Quilt - Ready to quilt, but I need thread.

6. Spot - Frogging - I might do this on my domestic machine.

7. Baltimore Autumn - Block 1 - New. Can you tell I love Pearl's patterns?



8. Baltimore Christmas - Block 13 - I've started the first 12 blocks, but I have to start over again this year.  This is the center medallion block. Planning on January/February time frame.



9. Baltimore Halloween - Block 13 - Same as Baltimore Christmas, will have to re-start it.



10. Baltimore Liberty - Block 11 - Others are started, but none finished yet. So many small pieces!!!



11. Country Houses - Block 1 - This was from ShabbyFabrics as a BOM, but I have all the envelopes.

12. Vintage Valentine - Block 1 - I am getting this one from Stitchin' Heaven, again, envelopes.

13. Dino's - Three finished, nine to go I would love to get this done before warm weather hits us.

I usually do all my hand applique at night while watching TV, so I just may work on a different one each night, haven't really figured out how this will go. Maybe I'll need to add more than 13 (not many daytime projects on this list) so I'm not just appliqueing all day. Maybe I'll just do some piecing or cutting during the day. Lots of other projects I can get out, just not part of the commitment. LOL

How are you working on your projects in 2013? Think I'm crazy??  Just needed to change something up for motivation and inspiration.  My iPad should come in handy as a timer, do we have a app for this?

Wish me luck,




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 is Here

Okay, so truth be told, I didn't do very well at finishing projects or blogging about them in 2017. If I blog every day about my 15 minutes of sewing, will that drive readers away?

I did finish this quilt, so I can cross that off of my UFOs, right? I have gifted it, but I really wish I had a pic of the flying geese going up/down. Sigh. Now to made some shams...in 2017!!



I did add a page for 2017 so I could list them, but I have so many years with so many unfinished quilts, it's embarrassing. BLUSH
I did start Bonnie Hunter's En Provence and here's a sample of a somewhat finished block. 

I also played around with Cheryl's Meadow Mist Mystery 2017 and I'm almost finished in time for tomorrow's next clue.  I think the piece on the bottom row in the middle might be the inside of the fabric or not??? I'll check.  All the other steps are finished, I hope. 

I'm also going to try free motion quilting for the first time, so I am ready with my panel and will…

It's Been Awhile

I will just say, "Sorry," and move on. Life really gets in the way A LOT for me. It's been a hot summer and the pool has been very inviting. Too hot to sew outside, so "swimming" it is!!! The tree over our pool has shed its leaves directly into the pool. They are still falling, it's a bunch of work to keep them gathered up and off the bottom. Since my husband is unable to tend to the outside work (or inside), I've taken on this task. I've only sucked up so many leaves one time and had to call the pool company to blow the lines. Got one of those leaf catchers, pronto!!! 
Enough said, here's what I've been up to:
I decided that I couldn't pass up the Sew Sampler subscription box from the Fat Quarter Shop. This was the pattern called Moonshine and they included the fabrics so I was able to whip this up pretty quickly.  I'm really happy with my points on this one. I've added the outer borders and will update the pic soon. I'm act…

Getting Back to Sewing

Sorry, I've been trying to re-arrange my studio and just didn't seem to get back to sewing/quilting, but I'm forging ahead because I missed all of January's blocks of the 365 Challenge! These are really tiny and I can see I need to be much more accurate with my cutting/sewing. LOL I'm using all stash fabrics, so my dark may not be dark enough and my lights might not be light enough, but my record for finishing projects prohibited me from spending money on this one!! 
Here's February 12, 2016 block: 


Now, here's the beginning of the blue and white quilt that I'm making. I designed it in EQ7 and the rows of the top left corner have been sewn together, so we'll see how accurate EQ7 is when I go to sew the diagonal rows together.  I am using it as leaders/enders for the 365 Challenge because they took a bunch of seams so more rows are finished without realizing it. A good thing.
Just want to mention that my design wall is four 2' pieces of that foa…